blog

Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Mittens visits class and a tutorial


On Monday our kitty, Mittens, decided to "visit" class by jumping up on the knitting table. All of my students love that and don't like me to tell Mittens she doesn't belong there...Mittens doesn't like that either!

Yesterday a student was working on a pattern that called for a yarn-over followed by a SKP (slip a stitch, knit the next stitch, pass slipped stitch over the just knitted stitch). To do a yarn-over after a knit stitch, usually you just bring your yarn forward as if you are going to purl and knit the next stitch:



Her pattern read as follows:
K 1, YO (yarn over), SKP
Now, doing an SKP right after a YO can be tricky because the YO likes to “sneak” over the slipped stitch and look like the stitch that you will use to pass over the knitted stitch:


So, you will need to move the yarn-over out of the way and pull the "real" slipped stitch over the knit stitch:
Dear knitters, do watch out for those yarn-overs!
Mittens visits class and a tutorialSocialTwist Tell-a-Friend

2 comments:

  1. Talented Knitting teacher, you are just going crazy with this new blog! It's so fun to witness your enthusiasm and see the new ideas that you have and the lovely tips that you give your students. I'm not sure that the pictures help me with what you are saying because I can't see clearly the labels that you added. Is there any way to make them clearer and bigger? What do you mean "move the YO out of the way"? How do you do that?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Anonymous,
    I am having fun and learning a lot!

    I have fixed the pictures so that the labels are clearer. Thanks for pointing out to me that you were having trouble seeing them. If you want to see an even larger image just click on each image and that will take you to a larger view.

    I usually just move the YO out of the way by lifting it to the right and over the slipped stitch. I have put a picture in where I am doing that.
    Mary

    ReplyDelete