blog

Tuesday, April 7, 2009

A knitting teacher and designer introduces herself

Greetings to students past and present and future. As I was up-dating my student address list recently, I started thinking that it would be fun to have a way to keep in touch with so many of you who have shared my love of knitting and enriched my life.



Here’s a little bit of my knitting history:

I learned to knit when I was 8 years old and soon realized this was something that my heart and hands were meant to do: create miracles out of string and sticks! I continued to knit and learn about knitting throughout childhood and adolescence and as a young adult, began to sell some of my work. In addition to teaching knitting in several yarn shops over the years, I have also taught in after-school daycare centers, for the Recreation Department., at a home for unwed mothers, at senior centers for the Dept. of Aging, and have taught stroke patients at a local hospital. Currently, I teach most of my classes in my home. Whenever possible I attend classes and yarn markets at Knitting Conferences.



In my classes, fun and caring are very evident. Students always become chatty and sociable as they knit away. More than one new friendship has occurred among my students and many times a student has called asking if a friend can sign up for the class she’s in. Even making mistakes can be fun as students realize that making errors is just part of the knitting process---and sometimes those “errors” turn into a wonderful new design element!



Mary’s knitting philosophy:

“I believe that knitting and other handcrafts can be a way of having a little bit of immortality. Whatever I knit can be an heirloom that I leave behind. And with each stitch that our fingers create we can soar to new heights of creativity and joy as we add a little beauty to our world with what we create with yarn and needles. For me, knitting is truly a way of nourishing and healing the soul.”
A knitting teacher and designer introduces herselfSocialTwist Tell-a-Friend

1 comment:

  1. ...great individual instruction, gentle corrections with a very positive and encouraging attitude towards mistakes >>> i think we laugh as much as we knit ... an ABSOLUTELY FUN way to learn knitting and connect with other knitters! (egadz)

    ReplyDelete