blog

Thursday, April 23, 2009

Mitered Fun


This week I gave 2 Mitered Square Workshops. For the class I designed a little purse (shown above) made of 2 mitered squares to teach mitered square basics. Each person received a key ring to attach to their little purse. They had a choice of a button loop closure (shown below) or a flap (like the one above). I have attached one of mine to my everyday purse to carry lactaid tablets in. Students had other ideas such as carrying a decaf tea bag in case the restaurant where you're eating doesn't have decaf tea. Or, clip it to your jacket zipper and carry a key when you're out walking or jogging.


In trying to find some YouTube videos of mitered squares to put here on the blog for you to watch, not only did YouTube come up with knitting videos but also carpentry videos...so knitters, we share the "mitered square" with woodworkers!

Mitered Square knitting is sometimes called Modular knitting. And, you might ask who "invented" modular knitting and thus mitered squares? Well, a woman named Virginia Woods Bellamy invented a type of knitting in the 1940s. Where did I find this information? On "the girl from auntie's wonderful website:

http://www.girlfromauntie.com/journal/index.php/2005/so-who-invented-modular-knitting/

She has an interesting history of Virginia Woods Bellamy and Modular knitting.







Here are some "scenes" from the workshops. Everyone left with one square finished and had at least started the 2nd square. Some left with the little purse almost finished.
I think everyone had a good time and learned a new technique. It's so much fun introducing knitters to new ways to take their "knitting path".



I also designed a scarf of mitered squares and a cap for my students to get more mitered square practice.



The cap is a variation of Holly's cap at
http://www.hjsstudio.com/miter.html#hat .
She has a great tutorial and all kinds of information on her website.









And, here's a picture of the scarf.










Well, that's enough "mitering" for today. I have some more pictures and ideas which I'll post soon.
Mitered FunSocialTwist Tell-a-Friend

2 comments:

  1. Hi Mary,
    Hope this comment goes through.....
    Great class; felt so smart learning some new stitch that looked so hard, but worked out with your guiding help!
    Question/s on Hat pattern; just looking it over (Mary's version). What does "very lofty worsted weight or double knitting weight yarn" mean/

    Also, if I wanted to make the strip (band) part one color and the cap part a different color, how much yarn (approx.) would I need? (adult size)
    Thanks. Peg B.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Peg,
    I'm so glad your enjoyed the class...it is a fun technique!
    I'm not sure what Holly meant by "lofty" since I used her materials list in my version of the pattern. When I made mine I used worsted wt. yarn. I should put that into my pattern.

    As far as how much yarn for each part, I think half and half should do it.
    Hope this helps. Ask again if you have more questions.
    Mary

    ReplyDelete