blog

Thursday, July 19, 2012

Summer Delights


I take a break each summer by having “summer clinics”.  Each “summer clinic” is just like the classes I give in the fall and spring but only meet once a month.  I’m giving one morning and one evening clinic this summer.  They are such fun because students from different regular classes get to meet each other and often form new friendships.  At yesterday’s clinic, Mary Lou brought her granddaughter, Meggie, to class.  A couple of summers ago I gave her some private knitting lessons and it was really special getting to see her again.  AND, she definitely remembers how to cast on, knit, and purl.  I got her started on a new project: the Plump.
Here’s a Plump that I made a couple of years ago:

 
The Plump is a free pattern on http://www.ravelry.com/invitations .  Knitters, if you don’t belong to Ravelry, go to the website immediately and sign up.  It’s “knitters heaven”! 
I always tell me students that you should start any Christmas gifts that you are going to knit very soon so you’re not up all night Christmas eve finishing up a gift!

 

Some neck warmers have been on my needles recently:
 
I am calling them my " Faith’s Gifting Neck Warmer” after my student Faith who inspired them. As you can see, they can be worn several different ways.

 
We have a new member of our family (besides our adorable grandson Charlie): a 2 year old kitty that we adopted from the animal shelter.  She is so sweet, purrs A LOT and follows me around everywhere!  We named her Lizzie but call her “Izzie” because we think that might be what little Charlie calls her ( WHEN we can understand Charlie “language”!  He now babbles away at us and we respond to him as if we understand him to encourage him…so funny! )  Izzie is mostly black with a few white spots so she’s kind of hard to see when I photograph her.  Here are a couple of pictures I’ve taken:

  

Doesn't she look like a dear kitty?

She always looks so adorable when she’s asleep!

 

Last night I saw my first lightning bugs of the summer!  I had stepped outside after dark for a few minutes and lo and behold the trees were full of these wonderful sparkling lights.  I walked out a little further into the yard where I could see the sky and saw stars also twinkling away.  I was so filled with gratitude and awe at God's creativity, that tears came to my eyes. How blessed I felt to experience that sacred moment.
What sacred moments (of wonder-?) have you had?  Try and become more aware of them...maybe even keep a list for yourself.
 What a wonderful list that would be to have when things aren't going right in your world...

 

With blessings to all of you, my dear readers,
Mary

 

Summer DelightsSocialTwist Tell-a-Friend

No comments:

Post a Comment