blog

Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Notes from North Carolina

May 28-31, 2010

Greetings from our latest road trip. We are staying in Cornelius very near Lake Norman and just outside of Charlotte. It's funny what unexpected paths our journeys take us. 2 days ago I had never heard of Cornelius or Lake Norman. What lovely and unexpected beauty!

Today we took walks in 2 parks along Lake Norman: saw beautiful flowers, the lovely shoreline of the lake with several folks taking their dogs for romps in the grass and the water. Also spotted one man seated in a lawn chair at the edge of the water with five ( ! ) fishing poles stuck in the ground. What a relaxing and fun way to spend a warm spring Saturday: sitting by the edge of a sparkling lake fishing and daydreaming. The only thing I'd add to make it perfect would be a lapful of knitting!


And, speaking of fun and knitting, I went to 2 yarn shops nearby. The first one, The Needlecraft Center is in a charming old house in Davidsonville, North Carolina (website: http://www.needlecraftcenter.com ). There is a wonderful front porch with some rocking chairs and a BIG basket of yarn.





















There were 2 rooms of wonderful yarns. I took 2 videos inside the shop. Sooooo.....since a "picture" is worth more than a thousand words, I thought I'd share them with you:







While in the shop I spotted and bought 3 kits:


This scarf is called Kusha Kusha Scarf. The kit comes with 1 skein of merino wool and another skein of silk stainless steel yarn. After you make it, you felt it lightly. You can see some other examples of it on Ravelry.com .















The other 2 kits I bought were for this adorable doll called Flora and some clothes to make for her.












The other fun yarn shop that I went to was "Knit One, Stitch Too" in Huntersville, NC. Here's their website: http://www.knitonestitchtoo.com They had lots of beautiful yarn...and very reasonably priced with some even on sale! I bought a bunch of yarns for 2 projects that I bought patterns for. Both are going to be gifts I'm going to be making for Christmas (hey, knitters, NOW is the time to start planning your Christmas gift knitting so you don't have to stay up all night on Christmas Eve!). I didn't take any pictures there, so students ask me to show you what I got when you come to your next class.




And so, dear knitters, friends and family, remember to look for and savor the unexpected beauty you find on your travels even if its just a walk around the block!


Mary


Notes from North CarolinaSocialTwist Tell-a-Friend

No comments:

Post a Comment