blog

Sunday, February 28, 2010

Inspiration from My Students and from Life




The fall session snow make-ups are finally done. So, now we have a two-week break before the spring session starts. Two weeks to tackle unfinished projects, type up some newly designed patterns, do lots of knitting, and lots of reading---but, I'm missing my students already! So, I decided to write a tribute to all my wonderful students past and present.
The picture above shows lots of creativity going on in class which I love. But, there is also lots more going on at that table during each class. My students constantly inspire and uplift me. Here are just a few examples:
Several students have gone through illnesses, difficulties with children, thorny divorces, and other life crises. It is wonderful to see how their classmates rally around to support them. Sometimes it's just a hug from another student. Or, a student may share their own experiences with a divorce, kids, or illnesses to give hope and direction for that student in crisis. And, the courage of students going through crises is strengthening to all of us. Each student has been a "wounded healer" at some point, sometimes without even realizing it. I feel so blessed to be witness to these "sacred moments".
The friendships that develop between students are always so much fun to watch! For instance, two students who are normally in different classes met in a workshop and discovered that they live very near each other. Now they are walking partners, encouraging each other to get exercise. Several of my classes get together for lunch or dinner because they want to get to know each other better. A number of students have had a friend sign up for the same class as theirs in order to spend time together on a regular basis. 



Getting to see photos of new babies, new grandchildren, weddings, and other joyous occasions as they are being passed around in class is always a thrill! Of course, the biggest thrill of all is seeing photos of someone wearing something one of my students has knit or having a student walk into class wearing what they have recently finished knitting!
In addition to my students being an inspiration, sometimes something going on in my life has inspired me to come up with a new design. This happened recently. Many of you know that I am dealing with chronic iron deficient anemia and have been having periodic iron infusions. Sometimes, while receiving an iron infusion, my arms get chilly. Once the infusion has started, it's almost impossible to put my arm through the sleeve of a jacket. So I have designed a shawl that can easily be buttoned around my wrists. Here are some pictures:














Last week I wore it for the first time to an iron infusion and it felt very cozy and comforting. In tribute to the courageous patients and wonderful nurses in the infusion room and my ever inspiring students, I am going to offer the pattern for my "Buttoned Up Sleeves Shawl" for free for a limited time to anyone who posts a comment on my blog or e-mails me at notesfromknitclass@gmail.com . I hope you enjoy knitting and wearing it as much as I have.
Mary

Inspiration from My Students and from LifeSocialTwist Tell-a-Friend

9 comments:

  1. Mary,
    Great idea about the "sleeve shawl". So creative!
    Also good for peopple who have to Chemo or dialysis (I think they have IV's in the arm.
    Also good for those confined to bed who have to get shots, etc. and feel that hospital or nursing home room are chilly, sometimes.
    Classes too are great info for books, TV shows, movies, etc and good humor. We/ I usually leave class in a great humor, having enjoyed quite a few laughs, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How blessed to have the inspiration and creativity to take a lemon and make lemonade out of your treatment ordeal. A handsome shawl, which would work also for typing all the time, reading any other time left over! The problem of cold hands, wrists and arms while doing our work! I would ask for the design but sure it's too complicated for my basic skill. note one 's' in the word. Beautiful design, beautiful friend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a clever clever Knitting Teacher !
    Clever and creative and oh so - "Techy" too!
    your inspired student, gail

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Anonymous Student,
    I agree, that classes are great for books, etc. And I'm always asking for recommendations when I need a new roof, doctor, repair work, etc. Lots of valuable information comes from the mouths of my students!

    If you send me an email at notesfromknitting@gmail.com I'll email you the pattern.
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  5. An apology to all:
    I put in the wrong email address. It shoud be:
    notesfromknitclass@gmail.com

    So sorry if this has caused confusion for anyone.
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  6. Garnette, dear friend,
    YOU are the truly gifted and talented one! I have finally started reading your beautiful book "On Angels Eve" after loaning each copy I had out to friends before I could get a chance to read it. Max did read it and said it's one of the best books on hospice he's read. In just the few pages I've read, there is so much wisdom and comfort.

    I am going to email you the pattern because I think it's something you could do. There are only a few "tricky" places. I could try and talk you through those using Skye perhaps.

    I love hearing from you.

    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gail, dear FS,
    Thank you for your encouragement and wonderful sense of humor. You are definitely one of my most inspiring students!

    from Techy Teacher Mary

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a clever idea! So much more convenient than trying to keep the wrap ends out of the way when you need to but can "convert" to a traditional look if you'd like.

    Nice!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dear Anonymous,
    Thank you. I do love "convertible" type things that can be used in more than one way!

    If you'd like the pattern, just email me your email address (to notesfromknitclass@gmail.com ) and I'll send you the pattern.
    Mary

    ReplyDelete